Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Mid - Week Recipe - Creamy & Cheesy Chicken & Rice

I hope you all are having a great week! 
I did better on my food prep this week & I am so glad! This week I am working late every night & I have some projects that I am  into as well so having my lunch & dinner already prepared has really been a lifesaver for staying on track! I love that when it's time for dinner or I need a healthy snack, all I have to do is grab it thanks to a little planning ahead! Planning ahead can be difficult to do when there are other things going on or that we want to do..... I know because lately I have not been doing so well at it.  But, in the end, it actually saves you time that you can spend doing other things not to mention that it saves your waistline because it's extra challenging to make smart food decisions & eat healthy when you are famished! So, I encourage you, as well as myself, to set aside time to plan & prepare your meals one day each weekend for the week ahead if you aren't already in the habit of doing so! You will be glad you did! I know I always am!
With that in mind, I made this dish so I would have something that made enough to last me all week.  I was craving chicken & rice but the only recipes I came across all had Cream of Mushroom Soup which isn't exactly healthy & is really packed with sodium!
So, I came up with one using...... of course.....plain nonfat Greek yogurt (& some other things)! It turned out pretty tasty & healthy dinner worthy!
Creamy & Cheesy Chicken & Rice

You need:
1 lb chicken breast - cut into cubes & then cook in a skillet on the 
stove using cooking oil spray
1 Boil In A Bag Brown Rice - cooked & drained
2 containers of Oikos plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 C Organic (or low sodium) Chicken Broth
2 C Broccoli Florets - steamed & drained ( I chopped mine up a little
 because the pieces were large)
1/2 C 2% Mozzarella Cheese - shredded kind
*Seasoning- I used the following seasonings to taste so I am just going to tell you what I used & you can use as much as you like to get the desired taste for you or you can use different seasonings altogether! This is a really simple & basic dish that would be hard to mess up!
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Basil
Parsley
Salt Substitute
Pepper
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 11 casserole dish with cooking spray & spread rice in the bottom.  In a large bowl, empty Greek yogurt & get is seasoned the way you like it. Then stir cooked chicken into the seasoned yogurt mixture & spread over the rice. Sprinkle cheese on top & bake until it's all melted! It doesn't take that long to get done because all your ingredients are already cooked! 
Tip!! I stirred 1 Tbsp of salsa in with mine to give it a kick!

*Now, keep in mind that I am single when you read the portion size! If you are making this for a family or especially a man that eats a lot, then you may want to double the rice & chicken or just make the portions bigger & adjust the nutritional content!
*Makes 6 servings. Per serving- 187 calories, 15 carbs & 28 grams of protein!

No comments:

Post a Comment