Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Clean, Green & Lean Pinwheels

Ok, so I actually wrote this post this past Friday & when I went back to finish it up & post it, somehow most of it got deleted! Ugh! It was a really good one too!!! Definitely frustrated with Blogger about that! So, I honestly haven't had it in me to go back & rewrite all of it out in detail like it was so I 
am going to make it short & sweet! 
One of my favorite things are pinwheels! I love love love them! I usually only make them on special occasions and at the holidays -
 But this past week it dawned on me...... 
Why do I have to wait for a special occasion to make
 these wonderful little treats?! 
That's totally crazy!! 
They are so good and can be made in millions of different healthy ways & are the perfect easy go - to lunch or healthy snack!! So I got in the kitchen and have been making pinwheels for the past two weeks and having them for lunch!! You need healthy wraps to start & for the meat (which you can leave out & just do veggie ones too!), I used a large can of chicken - drained & rinsed of course (fresh is obviously better if you have the time & money  but the canned is a lifesaver if you are like me & short on both lately). I also used sweet peas in 1 batch then broccoli in the other. For the spread you can use Fat Free Cream Cheese but I like this Alouette Spreadable Cheese too cause it comes in flavors! And I use Hummus as well cause it takes a decent amount of spreadable stuff to make them stick, roll up & get firm enough to slice & I think more than 1/4 C of Cream Cheese is just too much. But, that's just me! Get creative & make yours however you want! Using 1 large can of chicken, a serving of sweet peas or broccoli (you choose) 1/4 C Cream Cheese, 2 Tbsp Hummus made up one batch of five which is enough to last you through a 5 day work week! Both batches came out really good! This is one of those recipes that will just keep getting better and better the more times you make it and the more creative you get with the ingredients!! I topped mine with salsa both times and it was really really good!! 
 Just make sure your veggies are chopped or mashed & your cream cheese is at room temp so you can mix it all together well! Then put it all in a bowl, mix & start spreading leaving about 1/8 inch around away from the corners to give it room to spread out. Then I wrap in saran wrap individually & chill til firm enough to slice into pinwheels! 
Oh yea!...... pimento & Paprika are great add ins & they make them pretty when sliced cause they add a splash of color!

No comments:

Post a Comment