Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Fit & Healthy Thoughts On Turning 35 & a "35 for 35" Workout


This Friday I will be 35 years old! When I hear myself or others say that it doesn't sound right! 35?? I remember when my mom was 35! It sounds so ........ adult or something........ for lack of a better word! But, honestly...... I don't mind! I thought it would affect me differently but the one thing I have been focusing on has been feeling, looking & being healthier than I was in my twenties & I do! So, now I really do see why people say that "age is just a number" & "you are only as old as you feel!" I am in better shape now than probably half of teenagers in our world today, which is sad to say. I am so thankful that I didn't grow up in a time where my youth was spent in front of an iPad, Kindle, smartphone or X-Box 360. We rode bikes till dark & jumped rope & roller skated in our carports & driveways! And when we drove to Florida for family vacations in the summer, we sang songs & played games like "I Spy",  the license plate game or "Slug Bug"! I believe that...... just like the Bible says that if you grow your child up in a God centered home that they may stray away but that they will always have those core, christian beliefs & values at the center of their being & are more likely to return to them...... in the same way, I believe that if children grow up playing outside, capable of being entertained on their own & being active overall..... that, though they may stray away & have a lazy time in their lives, they have more of a chance at returning to that active lifestyle than they would if they never had it at all.
I am so thankful that I have kept health & fitness at the top of my "To Do" lists & "New Years Resolutions" & other short term goals like my birthday over the last several years! It isn't always easy & goodness knows there are days when I don't feel like going to the gym......but I go anyway & I never regret it! It feels good to know that I know my way around a gym, weight room & cardio equipment & that I can lift more weight at 35 years old than I would have even thought about lifting at 25! And I'm not done yet! I am going to continue to get stronger........ body, soul & spirit! So, let me end by saying that "you are only as old as you feel"  & "you are what you eat" are two sayings that goes hand in hand! You need both for each to be true! If you eat good, healthy foods & you exercise regularly, then you will be healthy & fit! If you eat cream filled donuts & the only exercise you get is moving your fanny from your office chair to the seat of your car then to your couch...... well, you get the picture!
It doesn't have to be a special occasion, although it helps to set both small & large goals...... you just have to make a decision! Commit to being fit! It has been one of the best decisions I have made in my 35 years here on earth & it could be for you too...... no matter what your age!
In honor of my upcoming 35th birthday, I decided to incorporate the number 35 into my training every day this week! I started with legs & am planning to train them Mon, Wed & Friday this week! Here is what I did today! 

  35 for 35 Workout
(Leg Day)
*5 minutes elliptical followed by10 minutes on the staircllimber
3 sets of 10 squats with heavy weight to fatigue my muscles further (I did 50 lbs for the first 2 sets then 60 for the last set)
*Begin 35 for 35:
(use heavy weight & increase by 5 lbs for the last set)
5 sets of 7 reps for each of the following exercises resting only 30 seconds in between:
standing calf raises
static lunges holding 20 lb dumbbells
lying hamstring curl machine
leg extension machine
*go immediately & do 10 more minutes on the stairclimber then end with
35 continuous reps on each leg on the glute blaster machine. (I cut the normal weight that I normally lift when I am only doing 10 - 12 reps in half since I was going for 35 straight reps)
I also did my ab work today which consisted of 3 x 25 bicycle crunches, 3 x 10 jacknife sit ups & 3 x 10 roman chairs before I started my leg routine then I tacked on an extra 35 crunches on the stability ball when I was done with my leg routine!
*If you decide to try this routine for yourself, please let me know what you think!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment