Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake


Good morning! I had a really good weekend & I hope you all did too! Now it's time to welcome in a new beautifully fit  week & I am so ready! Today at the gym,  Kristei & I are going to be starting phase 2 of the Jamie Eason Live Fit Trainer & I am on day 2 of "The Plank Challenge" I posted on Friday! Have you been planking?? I am liking this challenge! If you haven't started it yet, it's not too late! Start today! 3 minutes out of your day? C'mon....... everybody can find time for that!
One of the highlights of my weekend was this moist & flavor packed Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake I came up with yesterday! It is (in my humble opinon) the BEST recipe I have come up with yet! My mom whole heartedly agreed! (She gets to try all my recipes!) It's 2 cake layers w a layer of real apples & cinnamon baked into the middle & a brown sugar & cinnamon topping! Mmmmmm......... I can't wait to eat a piece later! I only added 1 scoop of protein powder since I didn't know how it was all going to come out so the protein content isn't as high as I would like it. I may try adding 1 more next time!
Here's the (you gotta try) this recipe!:
Apple layer:
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored & diced into small pieces
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp natural no sugar added applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 stevia
*mix all ingredients except apples then pour over apples & stir together until apples are well coated & set aside.
Cake layer:
1 & 1/2c oat flour
3/4 c egg white substitute
1 c stevia
1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
*grind oats down to powder, then add all other ingredients & blend well.
Brown sugar & cinnamon topping  (mix & set aside)
1/2 packed tsp brown sugar splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs stevia
*Spray an 8 x 8 pan with butter cooking spray & pour half the mixture in. Then spread the apples evenly over the first cake layer (place gently so they don't fall through to the bottom. I used my fingers.) Then pour the remaining cake layer on top of the cake layer being sure to cover all the apples. Bake until cake is starting to get a little firm but still soft on top then pull it out & evenly sprinkle the brown sugar cinnamon blend on top & lightly press down into top of cake. Finish baking until top is pretty & brown & firm. Do not overbake! Check with a toothpick but keep in mind that it will look a little gooey because of the apple layer in the middle!
Cut into 16 pieces! (Use a ruler if you need to so you can ensure pieces are even!)
*Nutritional content: 43.5 calories, 8.4 carbs & 2.75 grams of protein
 *Don't forget to keep any clean recipes like this refrigerated! Things without preservatives in it have to be kept cold! Just nuke a piece when you want to eat one!

Happy baking & clean eating!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment