Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cinnamon Apple Crumble Squares

FALL.........I LOVE this time of year!! 
You are probably going to hear that a lot from me over the next few months! I love the way the Fall air feels & smells, I love having my windows open, I love the falling leaves, the approaching holidays & of course, I love the food!!!....... ahhhhhh! To me, it is all DIVINE!!! I feel so alive this time of year! I have really been feeling great lately since I started doing the Body Earned program! I can see & feel myself getting stronger! I am lifting more at the gym & pushing hard with HIIT cardio! I am definitely seeing results & I am LOVING it!!! 
And since I am feeling the love everywhere lately, you can bet I wanna stir up some Fall lovin' in the kitchen! It was time for a new batch of protein bars today, so I reached for my tried & true fav -  Jamie Eason's Cinnamon Swirl protein bars, but then I thought,  "Callie, you need an Apple Cinnamon protein bar recipe!" And for those of you that are familiar w JE & all her protein bar recipes you are probably thinking, "Callie, JE has an Apple Cinnamon protein bar recipe!" And you would be right! However, I have to be honest, I have made them a few times & I have to say that (no offense to Jamie cause she is my total fav) but I do NOT like them AT ALL! And I am a HUGE Apple Cinnamon fan!!! I'm sorry! But, I have to be honest! They are the only ones of hers I don't like! But since I love the taste of anything Apple Cinnamon so much & this is the perfect time of year for it AND Dr. Oz just recently did a show on the Top 10 Anti- Aging herbs & spices & Apple Pie Spice was #5!!! (link to the article is below) And you know how I am about anti-aging, right?! So, taking all things into consideration, I figured it's high time I came up with an Apple Cinnamon bar that I DO like! So, anywho, long story short (semi-short) I got in the kitchen & a scrumptious new protein bar was born! YAY!  I am always so proud when I birth a new protein bar recipe that comes out really yummy 'cause clean baking is a lot of trial & error! 
Clean ingredients are very different to cook with if you haven't 
already experienced that already.  
I used my fav - JE Cinnamon Swirl protein bars as my recipe inspiration because I love, love, love the cinnamon "sugar" swirl part! And I have to say that I like these even better that those & that is saying A LOT 'cause her Cinnamon Swirl bars are the 
super dang & my total fav...... until now! 
I can't wait to have one of these warmed up with a glass of Cinnamon Almond Milk!! 
Shut the front door!!! 
YUM!!! 
Oh, & also, they made my house smell gloriously amazing! 
(besides the Scentsy I always have burning!)
Add caption


They are worthy of the name too!  Pretty & crumbly! Mmmmm.........

 Cinnamon Apple Crumble Squares
Dry ingredients:
1.5 C Oat Flour
2 scoops Vanilla Whey
1/4 C Stevia in the Raw
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Apple Pie Spice
wet ingredients:
4 egg whites
1/2 C Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 C Natural Applesauce
1 tsp Brown Sugar Splenda
*Topping:
1/ C Stevia in the Raw
1 tsp Brown Sugar Splenda
1 tsp Apple Pie Spice
1 tsp Cinnamon
*Preheat oven to 350. Blend oats into flour then blend remaining dry ingredients. (I use my Ninja for all of this, of course!) Add wet ingredients to the dry & blend until it's all mixed together-scrape sides of bowl or Ninja cause the flour always wants to stick. Pour into an 8 x 8 square pan then sprinkle Cinnamon Apple Crumble on top. Swirl with knife all the way through back & forth a couple of times then pop into the oven & bake until a toothpick comes out clean! As with all protein bar recipes like this, don't over or under bake! This can be tricky when you are first learning to make things like this! If you take it out & your toothpick comes out clean yet you cut into them & your knife is gooey, don't stress! Just put them back in for a few more minutes! 
*Makes 16 squares.
*Nutritional content: 34.5 calories, .5 gram of fat, 2.9 net carbs, .2 grams of sugar & 3 grams of protein!
(Nutritional content is calculated according to the protein powder I currently use which is MRM. You will have to adjust the content according to what kind you use or any other ingredients you alter)
* If you would like to read the article by Dr. Oz on the Top 10 Anti- Aging Herbs & Spices you can check it out here!!




No comments:

Post a Comment